Wednesday, August 17, 2011

human contact

The one unfortunate thing about entering my graduate studies is that my average amount of human contact incper day has drastically decreased.  It's the Goldilocks problem: seeing patients constantly I think would be very draining, but having a grand total of twenty minutes of conversation a day isn't going to work either.  Hence the whole MD/PhD idea.  I'm too extroverted to sit in a corner by myself for four years solving problems, but I'm not extroverted enough to think that hearing forty-five patients' life stories each day is the perfect job (assuming one would do internal medicine or outpatient family practice).  I think I'm happiest with a good chunk of time to sit by myself and beat my head against the wall, but having some built-in human contact is nice.... again, hence the "let me do two or three careers' worth of graduate school and get my first job when I'm forty" choice of educational pathways.

I am glad to be in graduate school, but after this summer I have realized I need to be pretty intentional about spending time with people, as it's not going to happen unless I plan on it.  It's just a bit hard now because most of my friends are very busy and exhausted in the hospital, and I haven't really made friends with the incoming graduate students because they have just arrived.

Which reminds me: I am now officially a graduate student, as this is "orientation" week.  I think I've mostly gotten stuff figured out (like how to navigate the medical center) after being here two years, but it is nice to meet the new graduate students.

No comments:

Post a Comment