Thursday, July 5, 2012

fourth year

I just changed the subtitle on this blog as I am now (as of July 1) officially a fourth-year student.  It's kind of scary.  My absolute amount of knowledge and skills may have increased linearly in the past three years but my awareness of what there is to learn has increased at least quadratically or maybe even exponentially.  The bottom line is that my subjective perception of my education is that I'm getting more ignorant every year.  I still believe I know some stuff and can find out some stuff, so clearly I do not yet qualify for a PhD.

Done: two years of medical school, one year of graduate school.

To do: qualifying exam and thesis proposal, research, research, ..., research, defense, PhD, third year of medical school, MD, residency, fellowship, postdoc...

As I threaten all my friends who have letters after their name, houses, babies, and all those things that real adults have: "When I graduate in x years, you'll have to call me Dr. Dr. ____!"  They just laugh at me.

They say that graduate school is like this dark tunnel with no light at the other end.  Well, I'm a year into it, and I haven't even gotten into the tunnel yet.

In other news - because I need to feel that I'm good at SOMETHING - I can run three, four, and five miles at a faster pace than I could in college, and I'm placing in the top 30-40 women in my age group.  (Okay, I'm just happy that I'm on the first page of results that come up.)  So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment