I've been thinking a lot about how to explain functions and programming to non-programmers. Functions are a bit like toasters: you put something in (the bread, maybe a setting for darkness on the toast), press a lever, and wallah! Out comes toast. It doesn't really matter what the exact details are about how the toaster works; it can be a black box where all you need is to know what comes in and what comes out, and then you can incorporate that black box into your workflow of making, say, a fried-egg breakfast sandwich. You can replace one toaster (the regular upright kind that takes two slices) with a different kind of toaster (like a toaster over), but still, all you really need to know is that bread goes in and toast comes out.
Yesterday I made French toast with a friend. As the pieces sizzled on the griddle, I absentmindly asked him - having these musings in the back of my mind - "Can I have a plate for the output, please?"
"You are such a geek!" he teased me, handing me a plate.
The French toast was good. The joke was better. The realization that I've been too long in graduate school... priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment