I
just don't want to lose my humanity and empathy in becoming a
scientist, or even just the process of doing some experiments. I've had pet rats and
know how intelligent, affectionate, sweet and personable they were -
really good childhood memories. In my head, I lower a dark screen and
wall off all those feelings and thoughts, memories and emotions brought
up by seeing the mice; I must refuse to extend my empathy to the mouse
and refuse to ask, "What is this mouse feeling?" (In fact, nothing at
all - it just goes to sleep, and that is that, which is actually
comforting.) While that detachment is necessary, what I find
frightening is that I can do these things that I find incredibly
distasteful despite the roiling emotional disquiet it causes. It makes
me wonder what I am capable of and makes me believe what many have
written: the distance between "good" and "bad" people isn't far at all,
given the right circumstances.
So
I will give myself a moment to grieve the loss of those little flickers
of life, a little of my innocence, and the days where I could let my
thoughts wander freely and wonder, "What are you thinking? What are you
feeling? How are you experiencing the world?" without fearing it will
cause me pain. Those questions are essential lenses through which I see
the world, and to lose that ability would be worse than the pain caused
by thinking about the answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment