One of my friends is an artist. When I made the comment that I really wished I knew more about acrylic technique, and that in some ways I envied the time she put into painting, she told me, "I feel the same way; I wish I knew more about painting. But even the really good artists I know who have been painting for years still keep saying that they don't know enough about technique."
After college but before I started graduate school, I spent two years doing research. I kept complaining to the postdocs in the lab that I felt incredibly inadequate and ignorant about math, biology, and computing. They told me they felt the same way, which I found hard to believe at the time, but now agree with.
Two years of medical school and a year of graduate school has made me slightly less ignorant, but I still feel incredibly inadequate to the task of research....
No comments:
Post a Comment