Despite a number of false alarms, I have always made it a policy to take every fire alarm seriously and leave the building regardless. I just don't want to ever be wrong about it.
Still half awake, I grope for my keys, wallet, cell phone. What else should I take? Yes, my laptop, it has my research on it, and I haven't backed it up recently. Violin? Naw, it's replaceable and bulky. As I grab a jacket, I realize that the smell of smoke is very strong. This might be the real deal.
Suddenly awake, I open my door to see my roommates flipping off the oven and stove. One has forgotten the eggs she was boiling, and all the water boiled away, causing the eggs to smoke and burn.
The alarm mercifully ceases. "Do not open the door," I say. Opening the door to the hallway will set off the hallway smoke alarm and summon the fire departmaent, and I have absolutely no desire to descend the stairs to wait outside till they give the all-clear this early in the morning.
Somewhat shaken, we open our windows and turn on the fans, retreating back to our rooms for a little more sleep. I have too much adrenaline going to fall asleep immediately... so here I am writing this.
* * *
On the positive side, I now know the answer to the question, "What would you take with you if there was a fire?" Wallet, keys, jacket - and research laptop.
I guess I know what I care about - and now I realize, I need to back up the entire hard drive in a location that is not my apartment. I have my research files in the cloud, but my personal stuff... vulnerable.
And thank God for smoke detectors!
No comments:
Post a Comment