Tuesday, April 16, 2013

presentation

I just finished giving a presentation today about my research project.  Despite my nervousness about presenting to a room full of computer scientists and mathematicians, I found myself surprisingly at ease once I reached the podium, trying to play to the crowd.  It was fun to introduce the biology of epidemiology and infection control to people who were not intimately familiar, and despite my fears about completely flubbing the math slides, I think at least some of the gist of it came across.  I even managed to give a plug for collaboration with biologists and physicians - yes, come visit the medical center, there are lots of fun projects available! - and at the least convey the importance of my topic.

It's still nascent, with lots left to work on - but at least one potential collaboration came out of the presentation today with a person who works on machine learning and can help with parameter fitting and data.

So exciting to mark another milestone in my research journey, and it made me really excited about my project and all the possibilities that it opens up.  Collaboration and effective communication are incredibly important, and today's talk made me realize that if I can communicate the importance of my questions, I'll be able to find experts who can help me with the technical aspects that I need to learn.

Ah... a good day in the life of a scientist.  This has been a good week for me: I feel that I'm starting to make progress in my research, in my clinical skills, in my personal life... definitely a moment to savor.  There will be plenty of challenges to come, but I want to be thankful for all the exciting times and moments of insight.  It's always good to remember these moments, because it reminds me again why I chose to be a scientist-physician - because it is fun!  And, when I step back to realize - it is a huge privilege and opportunity, and I will do my best to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment