After trying, mostly in vain, to stay awake in algorithms class this evening, my embarrassment was compounded by the fact that the hefty six-foot gentleman sitting next to me introduced himself rather than letting me slink away in peace after class.
Him: So you're one of the computer science students?
Me: No, not really. I'm studying computational biology.
Him (misses the 'computational' part): What's a biologist doing taking algorithms class?
Me: (repeats) I'm actually a computational biology student.
Him: Oh great! Are you one of the master's students? What year are you? How long do you have to finish?
Me: Ummm.... it's complicated. [sigh and explain the whole medical school bit]
Him: So what's a medical student doing taking algorithms?
Me: Umm.... it's complicated.
Actually, he was nice about it. But even though I try to avoid the 'I'm a weird academic hybrid monster!' explanation, it always ends up coming up. I haven't found a graceful way to quickly explain it, although I will happily leave things at 'I'm a med student' or 'I'm a grad student' until these pesky questions about when I finish come up.
No comments:
Post a Comment