Friday, June 24, 2016

going back to the wards

I am starting my eight year in the MD/PhD program.  Yes, you can call me Dr. Mudphud (but not the kind that can help you if you get hurt, at least not yet).  I'm still in denial about going back to the wards.  I said goodbye to my math friends and bioinformatics friends.  I don't feel done; with science, maybe we never do.

I have a weird mixture of fear, excitement, and complete bewilderment.  The clinical stuff is coming back.  It feels familiar.  I have done this before.  It is like riding a bike - I do know how to talk to the patients, how to have these conversations, how to listen to the heart, how to do an abdominal exam, how to walk confidently into the room.

I have lots of bandages from practicing IV placement (and having other students practice on me).  We did our CPR class last week, practicing scenarios on dummies.  The American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) guidelines have continued to change.  Now, just do chest compressions if you don't know the person; lungs will expand because of compressions.

I am starting on epilepsy clinic on neurology.  I reviewed information last week.  I'll be okay.  The fear is starting to give way to excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment