I am currently finishing a month of elective at the moment. Looking back, it has been pretty awesome. I split it into two 2-week preceptorship blocks. In the first, I worked with a hospital epidemiologist to investigate a possible outbreak of Serratia in the operating room. In the other, I worked on implementing behavioral therapy as an app. I also worked on finishing up my thesis paper in mathematical epidemiology.
Over the course of the month, I've chatted with the head of a patient advocacy organization, spoken with facilities, worked with hospital epidemiologists, chatted with a math friend about numerical analysis issues with Jordan form, spoke with Apple representatives about their ResearchKit extensions for iPhone apps, played with building an iPhone app, wrote a mini grant, spoken with people who create startups, pitched my app idea at a makerthon recruiting day, and spoken with one of the dermatologists who first observed the AIDS outbreak.
I wish I could have made more progress on each of these projects, but overall, I actually had an amazing month. Now I need to go learn actual pediatric medicine next, but I really can't complain about the sheer coolness of the experiences I have had this month.
No comments:
Post a Comment