Friday, July 7, 2017

done with third year!

So... I finished my third year of medical school and am officially in my fourth year of medical school, last year (hopefully!) of the MD/PhD program!

I have a lot more confidence in the clinic.  I participated in my first code (CPR), drew blood, met with patients on my own, assisted with an amputation, educated patients about their health, and saw my first patient's death in the hospital.  I saw open-heart surgery, helped with over ten baby deliveries, connected with a number of patients, and celebrated a successful kidney transplant.  Got my first death threat when a high/drunk/intoxicated patient threatened to kill the entire ER team and at least a few patients yelling at me.  I have managed to avoid being in the ER or surgery for a major trauma, but I have seen the aftermath of a bike-by shooting and at least one trauma that made national news.  I've seen a patient who lost his perception of the left side of the world, comforted sad patients, and had at least two or three patients thank me for being their doctor.

As predicted by my internal medicine teaching attending, I do feel like a doctor now.  I shed a lot of tears, lost a lot of sleep, and even lost some blood (needlestick injury, thankfully with no consequences).  I've spent countless hours feeling lost, confused, and in the way, but I've also managed to gain some confidence, perform some procedures, educate some patients, help my residents, and not screw up in any unfixable ways.

In summary, it's been a crazy year, but to my amazement, it worked.  They are turning us medical students into doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment