I am embarrassed that I forgot to put in my orders for morning labs and check patient's diets and anticoagulation. A checklist won't help you if you don't remember to look at the checklist.
I had dinner quickly but just felt so anxious about it... even if I knew the odds were quite low that any of those things alone would harm anyone, I just had this weird feeling that I would be having nightmares about a patient getting a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs that can cascade into cardiac failure) because I forgot to check their anticoagulation. That's what happened last week when I
It was even more embarrassing to run into my attending as I crept back into the hospital to put in my orders, and to have him send me home telling me he'd already noticed and put them in (even though he was nice about it).
No comments:
Post a Comment