Saturday, December 23, 2017

coming together

I spend an evening chatting with one of my closest friends (another MD/PhD in my year) about our interview experiences and the validation we both have felt - after all of the self-doubt.

We have been wandering in the wilderness for a long time, both intellectually and personally.

That was hard.

No, it really was.  It really was.  After all the self-deprecation, I have to admit to myself - we earned it.  We earned those interviews, but there was also grace.  But we worked so hard.  Medical school was hard.  Graduate school was hard.  The self-doubt, the midnight tears, the exhaustion - we are making it now, speaking boldly and confidently to the institutions we hope to train at next, but that struggle was real (if not something we talk about, because we want to look as if we glided through, right?).  We earned the right to hold our heads high when we look towards the next step (which is, admittedly, indentured labor).


Might it be possible that I enjoy residency, not just survive it?

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment